Thursday, September 12, 2019

Diversity Literature

    Recently, I have been introduced into a new genre of literature I was very unfamiliar with. Diversity literature has been the up and coming genre recently and I found myself diving in. Not knowing where to start I took to......

goodreads.com

     I wanted something would be great for kids but simple. I felt diversity literature could be one of those things to come off as harsh and "in your face" for young kids. After searching the site, I found The Families of our Neighborhood. This illustrated kids book described a neighborhood with many different familes who livied in different types of homes. PERFECT, I thought! Kids could totally get on board with this.
     This children's book could not get any cuter. Each page showed a different family and their home. Some families were African America with a few children, some families included a grandmother raising her grandchildren, and the book continued on like this. I found it appriopriate and brightly colored, which is perfect for introducing children to the idea of diversity.

     Children do not need some loud, throw in your face, deep meaning book of diversity, but instead they do need to know that all families are normal and important, which is just what this book did.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment